If you start on a barge and you do not follow a training course, you start as a deckhand. After three years of experience (sailing time) you will officially become a sailor. You have to be at least 16 years old to start working as a seaman on a ship.
- Assisting the captain in loading, unloading and preparing the ship for sailing
- Assisting the captain with dredging
- Cleaning up and keeping the ship clean
- Miscellaneous maintenance work
- Assisting with repair work
- Taking care of the meals (in cooperation with colleagues)